Wednesday, September 17, 2008

As You Walk With the Lord, Change is Always in Your Favor

A friend from a Bible fellowship group I led back in the mid-seventies commented on my August 24 blog entry with these words: "Bill and I will be praying with you and Margaret as you go through this. Just today someone wrote back to me your quote of so many years ago. 'When you are walking with the Lord change is always in your favor.' Those words have comforted me and so many over the years. May those very words (a Hodge paraphrase of Romans 8:28) comfort all of you. You are loved."

Yes, I said that. It was true then – and it is true today. In spite of the stuff Satan is bringing into my pathway, God’s grace touches my life in such a way that it works for my good. The Adversary – who goes about "seeking whom he may devour" – brings a lot of unwanted and destructive stuff into my pathway. But never mind Satan's stuff – God still causes all things to work together for my good because I am walking with the LORD. In the face of the Devil's destructive stuff, I focus on this: God’s "divine power has given (me) everything (I) need for life and godliness through the knowledge of him who called (me) by his own glory and goodness" (2 Peter 1:3, NIV).

How can I be certain that change is always in my favor? Like anyone else who is targeted by the Devil’s destructive stuff, I must focus on, and access, what God has already provided for me, and what he is doing in my current life situation.

Instead of following the wisdom of the world and look where I’m going, I choose to redirect my focus -- to look for God's leadership in my life and his redemptive intervention in every life situation.

As I walk with the Lord -- following his leadership and allowing his redemptive intervention -- change will always bring his favor into my life.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Like when Peter asked Jesus why the beggar had been born blind, the answer was "to show the Glory of God." (paraphrased)

Who knows what Glory will come (or is already coming) through the journey you now face.