Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Language of the Soul

Music is the "language of the soul."

Some people write music to express what is in their souls -- others listen so that it can minister to their souls. Both of these factors were probably true for David -- known as "The Sweet Psalmist of Israel." Many of the 150 Psalms (or songs) in the Old Testament were written by him.

Today, while browsing the files in my notebook computer, I was startled to discover that I have saved 3,696 music files on its hard drive -- 2,381 of which are in folders I have labeled "Praise & Worship."

Why have I copied so much music to my computer for ready listening? Simply because music IS the language of MY soul. Many of these music files express my reasons for praising God -- others are vehicles of communion as I worship my Lord.

Scripture teaches us that men ought to always praise God. The music files in my laptop help me to obey that biblical admonition. Indeed, most of the music I listen to is an effective means of praise and worship.

Now that ALS has compromised my speech, music that expresses praise and worship has become an increasingly important means of fellowship with my Heavenly Father.

No comments: